Distance education in the 21st century
Today’s students are immersed in a world of digital technology. Experts at using a mouse since early childhood, they can quickly find all the information they are looking for on the Internet with just a few clicks of a button. The use of social media, SMS and blogs are, amongst others, an integral part of their daily life.
In a conscious effort to answer to the needs of 21st century students, the Conseil des écoles fransaskoises (CÉF) is reviewing its teaching methods and learning models. At the CÉF, students have access to mobile computers to facilitate research and quick access to educational resources. In addition to this, distance education has become a favoured approach to allow students to:
- have equal access to learning, everywhere, for all students at all times,
- have access to specialized teachers in the subject of study,
- have an alternate way of learning while reaching targeted learning results,
- develop essential skills for the 21st century and relating to employability:
- time management and priority management,
- use of information and communication technologies,
- information management,
- distance communication and collaboration;
- critical thinking skills.
Thanks to a Student Portal developed by the CÉF, students taking distance education courses have access to course notes, homework assignments, discussion boards and chat to interact amongst themselves and with the teachers.
For more information on distance education at the CÉF, contact us at 1-877-273-6661.