Official recognition of professional teaching skills
In Saskatchewan, the Saskatchewan Professional Teachers Regulatory Board (SPTRB) regulates the certification of qualified teaching staff. The Board is also responsible for:
- developing policies, qualification criteria and the certification process professional teacher and the early childhood educators sector;
- evaluating the qualifications of teachers and early childhood educators;
- issuing vocational education certificates to teachers and early childhood educators;
- maintaining a provincial register of teachers and accredited early childhood educators;
- administering teacher certification;
- and, collaborating with school boards in determining the classification of teachers' salaries.
"According to Section 198 of the Education Act, 1995: “No person shall be engaged, appointed, employed or retained as a teacher or principal in any school unless that person holds a valid teacher’s certificate.” A teacher’s certificate “certifies” that its holder has met the requirements, established by the SPTRB, to become a member of the teaching profession in Saskatchewan."
For more information on teacher certification, visit the SPTRB's website: sptrb.ca